This day has finally come.
Tonight marks my last night as a twenty-something and in many ways, I find it strangely satisfying. After attending yoga earlier today and mentioning to Elizabeth that my 30th birthday is tomorrow, she remarked “you’ve had a really good decade, Katie”. It occurred to me then that she was right; what a great perspective to have on the eve of the next decade of my life. Of course this totally warrants a blog post, where I felt it only fitting to list the highlights of the last decade. Indulge me for a moment:
Highlights of my 20s:
- Graduating from college in 4yrs
- Moving to San Francisco [and subsequently setting up my adult life here]
- Gaining financial freedom [paying off my car, student loans and credit card, setting up my 401K, etc]
- Completing 5 marathons and 8 half marathons [9 after tomorrow’s race]
- Discovering a love for Bikram yoga
- Participating in the 10th annual AIDS LifeCycle Ride [535mi on my bike in 7 days]
- Embarking on several international trips [UK, Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, Mexico]
- Working for a start-up company, a company relatively fresh out of start-up mode, and a well-established Fortune 500 company
- Embracing my love for music [read: more concerts than I can count, music festivals Coachella, Ultra, Outside Lands, Treasure Island, Electric Zoo]
- Falling in love, being okay with being vulnerable, and mending a broken heart
- Making new friends, reconnecting with old ones, and supporting friends progress through new chapters of their lives [think: marriage, children, relocating across the country or to another country, going back to school, going through a significant break-up, starting new careers, etc]
I’m sure there are some other highlights that I might be by-passing, but these are the ones that stand out as most prominent for me tonight. I look at this list and my heart swells with pride, for as great as my 20s were, I know that my 30s will have many more great things in store. Thanks for the memories, 20s. You were fabulous.